Monday, August 6, 2012

Come one Come all

The Glen Rock Newcomers & Neighbors group has a spiffy new website. I checked it out and it's really cool. For the first time ever, you are able to pay membership dues online, create a profile for your family, join groups, volunteer and RSVP for events. ALL ONLINE!! I think this is an awesome idea because as the person SLOWLY collecting checks for my 20 year high school reunion, people do things faster when they can do it online. It just makes things easier.

B and I joined the N&N group when we first moved here in 2006. We didn't have any kids so we weren't super involved but we did go to some DINKS (Double Income No Kids) events, the progressive dinner, wine & cheese events, etc. We even hosted the dessert portion of the progressive dinner the first year we were here. Didn't know that would mean like 60 drunk people in our house till 1a, but whatever. We survived. And it WAS fun. All the events were really fun, we met some cool new people, and it just helped get adjusted to what we consider "Mayberry" from a more urban area. It was nice just to know some people around town. I even got my friend Megan to join and she lives in Hawthorne. It's really nice to have the group open to neighboring folks too. I like groups that are inclusive to everyone so this is a total plus to me.

Once we had E, I did a few kid related events like a Holiday party, a playgroup, and a music class. There are so many fun activities the N&N group sets up for stuff to do with the kids. If you don't have a lot of time to seek stuff out to do, this is great because it's all right here.

Before we moved to Glen Rock, I actually looked at the town website and looked to see if there was anything like the N&N group. I was so happy to see it does exist. A lot of towns don't have one and I think they're missing something. It's just so helpful to new people to be able to acclimate and make new, lasting friendships in their "forever town". I definitely think it helps build a real sense of community.

Here is the site if you want to check it out and sign up!
http://glenrocknewcomers.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment