Friday, September 9, 2011

Wee Play, Nanuet NY

It's been raining and generally crappy out the week before school and all E's activities start so I needed something to do. My friend Cheryl asked me if I've been to Wee Play in Nanuet. I'd never even heard of it. And I wasn't sure if I was feeling the drive. But yesterday, I really had nothing to do, nowhere to take E, and the thought of staying in wasn't exactly appealing. I went to Stroller Strides from 9a-10a and then started the journey from Garden State Plaza (where my class is held on Tues/Thurs/Sat) to Nanuet.

From GSP it only took like 15-20 min. That wasn't bad at all. No traffic and a pretty basic route. It's near the Nanuet Mall (which I thought closed, but the parking lot was pretty jammin').

It's a little like Funtime Junction in Fairfield, NJ but from anywhere in the room you could basically see your child. It's big, but there are really no nooks & crannies. It wasn't crowded for a crappy day in the late morning/early afternoon.  They have a bounce house which E mostly had to himself, an indoor Little Tikes large climber/slide area, a GIANT sandbox (which miraculously has sand that doesn't cling to your child), shopping carts, basketballs/hoop, tricycles, like six of those Cozy Coupes, play food, "stations" like I've heard are in the Children's Museum (kitchen, gas station, pizza shoppe) in Paramus.  It has one of those large jungle gym things sort of like at Kids U but it's way more managable and E could totally do it on his own, and did. They have a smaller gated area for very small children- infant to 12 months I'd guess. I didn't go in there but it looked decent. It's nice to have an area away from bigger children.

Quite a few people there had infants and older children. Not really older than five years old I think, but that's the oldest age I would think a kid would be interested there.  Most people were watching their kids except one woman who wasn't phased by the kids she was in charge of throwing sand. Outside the sandbox.

You are not allowed/supposed to bring in your own food but I'm not sure they are super strict about it. They do sell everything there. A lunch is $4.25 which includes either nuggets, grilled cheese, half slice of pizza, or a peanut butter and jelly and a juice box and chips/cookies. You can also buy other things a la carte.  They had some "healthier" options- I saw some Pirate Booty. I didn't really explore the food thing because I had our lunch in a cooler bag in the car and E threw something at a girl and pulled him out of there faster than he could even open his mouth to protest.

 The one con is also what I'd like about the food thing I guess- they're way relaxed about everything. They don't ask for any info from you when you come. Usually, when you go to any of these places, you have to sign a waiver, or at least give them your name/address/phone/email. Even at least for marketing purposes or whatever. There was one girl working in addition to the man at the desk and she wasn't doing much of anything. I asked her to clean the sand up (from the sand throwers) off this apparatus E was using and she never did it. I was helping keep things neat and organized because I am used to that from Park N Play. All the parents at PNP are responsible to just make sure the toys get put away and your kid doesn't just Tazmanian Devil through the place and leave. It seems clean, I actually don't think the toys look worn like someone mentioned to Cheryl- I've definitely seen worse. Wait till I get to my review of Elite Gymnastics in Hawthorne. Anyway- I feel like Cutie Patootie in Englewood does a MUCH better job with their staff being on top of the mess and keeping stuff organized. Granted, Wee Play is bigger, has more stuff, and is less expensive in general. Their free play is about the same but the membership at CP for unlimited play is expensive.


It's $14 for non members and $10 for members. There is no time limit on your stay. Cheryl told me about a punch card that allows for 10 visits and then a free one but I forgot about it and didn't get one.They have a "membership" for $25. I am not sure I see the value of paying the $25 membership fee because you still have to pay $10 each time you visit. It's $4 less which is great but unless you're going to come a lot, it doesn't seem to be worth it. It would be better if they had a real membership like pay a certain amount for the month and it would be unlimited or whatever. Some kind of real incentive deal to "join". An affordable unlimited play package would be great.


Cheryl also told me Carousel Cakes and Rockland Bakery are a block away. I saw Carousel on my way there so that would definitely entice me to come back.

http://www.weeplayusa.com/about.php

1 comment:

  1. Hey...what's your review on Elite Gymnastics? I am going to assume it is bad. Any good ones out there?

    ReplyDelete