Sunday, September 11, 2011

Swim Diaper PSA

Disposable diapers are expensive in general. But, swim diapers for some reason are even more expensive. Not sure the rationale here considering they aren't the most absorbent things. Maybe it's whatever magic they use to make them not bulk up when peed in or waterlogged. I don't know. What I do know is that I'd been shelling out a ton of money on them. They range like $10-$12 for like 10 or 11 of them. I know it's something like that.

Lo and behold, a Nestie posted that her mom threw a used (pee only) swim diaper in the washer and dryer with a bathing suit by mistake. And it came out clean and reusable.

I figured it was worth a shot. I figured it could fall apart in either the washer or dryer and that would suck to clean out. Or, it could work, and I could save a lot of money. I looked at it not being any more gross than washing cloth diapers. I have no issue with cloth diapers, by the way, but at my town pool, the rule is swim diapers in the kiddie pool and no diapers at all in the big pool. Well, if you're going to the pool every day (and sometimes 2x/day), that's A LOT of swim diapers.

I threw some swim diapers in the washer and dryer, and I'll be damned. It totally worked. They were a little wrinkly after, but they didn't lose their shape and were fine to wear again. They even smelled nice from laundry detergent. I'm kind of bummed I only learned this now, when by next summer he'll be potty trained. (He better be- I'm not diapering a 3.5 yr old butt with man-poops). But, for all my friends with non-potty goers for next summer, here's your nugget of info on saving money. I got to do it a few times and if we sign E up for swim lessons at the end of fall or in the winter, they'll come in handy.

No, I wouldn't attempt a poop one. Those are 100% garbage worthy. At least for us. I won't go into detail because no one needs that, but just suffice to say, there is just no way of saving and washing pooped in swim diapers.

I tried both Huggies and Pampers and both survived the washer AND dryer. I don't know how many times you could reuse, but I'm going with at least once or twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment