Saturday, September 3, 2011

TV Time is All the Time

My friend Stephanie and I go to Stroller Strides and talk tv during a lot of it. Stephanie suggested I write something about the fall line-up, so here we go...

B and I love reality tv but we also watch real shows. One of our favorites is Lie to Me. It's now amongst the dead. I don't understand how people weren't watching and loving Dr Lightman. It was the best show ever. It took me awhile but I was even starting to see sex appeal in Tim Roth. I was SO longing for he and Foster to get together. Now it will only be in my dreams. I was missing Friday Night Lights the second Coach Taylor said Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose to his new Philly team. I will never understand how that show didn't make it on NBC.

I have to admit I'm not done with Brothers & Sisters yet so it hasn't hit me that it won't be back. Listen- I watch two shows while I'm on my thirty minute treadmill work-out in my basement- Brothers & Sisters and Desperate Housewives. I think I'm two B&S out and about three seasons out on DH. Yeah, tells you how often I go on the treadmill. Anyway...I'm sad about B&S. From where I am on it, it seems like there was a lot more story to tell. But, I see Emily VanCamp already has her own show, Revenge, that ABC is already hyping the hell out of, so good for her. I'll be watching. It looks like it has the right amount of soap in it. Since we're losing AMC & OLTL soon, I'll be looking for that extra dose of soap in my weekly opera.

As far as cancelled shows, those are all I care about.

New shows- I'm always hesitant to pick up any new shows. Every new show I have the slightest interest is gone before I can even remember the main characters name. As an aside though- I was one of the five people watching that show My Generation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Generation_(TV_series). I joined Hulu + (LOVE this- totally worth the $7.99/mo) to be able to watch tv shows on my iphone. They only showed 2 episodes on ABC, but there were EIGHT. And I've watched six on my phone, usually around midnight. It was GOOD. What is WRONG with people?? Ok, so you see, I like it, it's gone. But, since DH is ending this year and eventually I'll get to the end, my soaps are dropping like flies, FNL, B&S, Lie to Me, and Men of a Certain Age are all done, I'm going to choose a few new ones for fall.

I keep seeing the promos for Revenge and I like Emily VanCamp. I'll give that a whirl. I was going to link to a blurb about the show but I can't find one with more than two sentences. Look, it's about revenge. Looks like there are hot people in it. I'm going to check out Pan Am. I'm thinking if you like Mad Men, this probably is somewhat like that. I'm not a huge fan of Mad Men but I do like nostalgia, so it seems like it might be cool. I may tune in to The Playboy Club, just because Playboy in all incarnations is fascinating to me. Why not? But it's also doing the Mad Men thing, so we'll see how all this copy-cat stuff works out. Usually, it doesn't. Coupling, anyone? Yeah, it wasn't the next Friends.

My last two are comedies. Aside from Modern Family, I haven't found a network comedy worth a real laugh since Friends or Seinfeld. From the promos you'd think that show Happy Endings was actually funny, but it isn't. At all. But, here comes Subergatory and I'm perking up a bit. Cheryl Hines is in it (from Curb Your Enthusiasm) and I like her, so I'm going to go with it. Lastly, I've heard Whitney Cummings numerous times on Howard Stern. She's funny. It looks a little off and inappropriate so I'm totally there. As long as it isn't watered down because it's network vs cable, it looks promising.

Other than that, I give up. It's all about the all mighty dollar and new shows are pulled by episode #2. I don't know how any show is expected to gain a following in two episodes, but that's how the cookie crumbles these days.

Oh, and I WILL be returning to One Tree Hill now that Lucas is too. I just have to figure out how to watch those last three or four episodes I missed last season. I think I threw in the towel when Brooke, Quinn and a pregnant Haley went out on the town in costume to do good deeds or break up a Mean Girls convention. I'm not sure having Lucas back without Peyton is going to be worth it but I need see it with my own eyes. I'm forever going to be annoyed though that they never had a real explanation for where the hell Leyton was all this time, but I'm still willing to give them a last shot in their final season. http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2011/08/one-tree-hill-chad-michael-murray-returns-for-season-9.html

What I will not be watching? Ringer. I don't know why, but I can't stand Sarah Michelle Gellar. I'm sure she's a perfectly nice person in real life, but I don't know- ever since Cruel Intentions and even All My Children, I just don't like her. She's grating to me. I wasn't a Buffy fan, sorry. I'm sure Buffy fans are thrilled. Go you. I can't get into her.

Reality tv: All the regulars are coming back and I'll be watching American Idol & The Bachelor. We've been watching Karaoke Battle USA now and it's FAB. Carnie Wilson makes the show. I'm sure The Soup has made a montage of her expressions. She seems possessed when people are singing. If they haven't goofed on her yet, they should. I hope this show never ends. I don't know if it's just a summer thing or goes into the fall or what, but it's a great time.  America's Got Talent has been taking up a lot of room on my dvr. It's okay this year. I'm more into the singers and they don't have anyone really root-worthy except maybe the little girl who sang Motley Crue. Hey- I liked Steven Retchless, the poledancer that looks like Ryan Phillippe in 54. Now I don't really care who wins.

I'm not usually a fan of Dancing with the Stars but Chaz Bono is on, I'm interested. Not sure why George Clooney's ex-girlfriend is on there. I don't think she's actually done anything besides that. But Chaz Bono, David Arquette and Ricki Lake?? I'm there. At least for some of it. It's one of those things I actually have to watch vs just sort of listening while typing and I can't devote that much attention to it.

I'm giving up on Biggest Loser without Bob & Jillian. We didn't even finish the last season and I want to...but two hours? There is too much filler. And without Jillian yelling at people it's not worth it.

Here's your list of renewed, cancelled and new shows coming to a tv near you within the next few weeks: http://www.tvguide.com/news/fall-tv-schedule-1005618.aspx

1 comment:

  1. I am so disappointed about Lie to Me, we loved that show here. And I agree, it took some time but I could definitely see the sexy in Tim Roth.

    ReplyDelete