Thursday, September 22, 2011

Putting the Red in Velvet

I'm back on the cupcake subject. I happened to stop into my store today to say hi to my husband and he asked me to run an errand on Rock Rd. I left E in the store and was walking up the street past Books, Bytes & Beyond when I saw a man at the corner just past Rocca holding what looked like a tray of sample something. As I got closer, he said, "I have something for you...". I saw he had cake. Well, of course I forgot all about my errand, for cake.

I tasted a piece of plain vanilla cake. It was good. He introduced himself as the owner of the cupcake shop, A la Cupcakes: http://www.alacupcakes.com/.  I told him I'd been in there but hadn't gotten around to giving them another go. He asked if I'd come in and check out what they'd done in the five months they'd been open and last I'd been there. I came in and he introduced me to Pam, the other owner/baker/designer of all things cake in there.

It still looked sparse as far as the cases go, but there are reasons for that. They make everything fresh that day, from organic ingredients- organic flour & sugar, and they don't sell any "old" cupcakes/pastries. So, they only make enough for that day. Now, I told them, unless they get the time to tell someone that, one would have no idea. I assume the average person is in a hurry, might be on a cell phone, and running in and out. Maybe plaques on the wall with their story or ingredient lists, or something- kind of like in Tasty D'Lite/The Lite Choice.  I KNOW those are lo-cal and Kosher because it's all over the place in there.

The organic thing is a huge selling point for me. As I said in my last blog, I was sick for about a week from a pesticide laden apple & there is news everyday about something gross or harmful in food we're consuming and feeding our children. Hey, cupcakes may not be part of the basic food groups, but they kind of are for me.  And if you gave me a choice of two cakes to give to my kid, one with organic ingredients and one with not- I'm going to pick the one with the healthier ingredients every time.  I'm sure they could do a little more with presentation to make the cases look more full or interesting, but it's only been five months so I cut them a little slack.

Today, the cupcakes looked a little bigger than the last time I was in there and they had some really interesting flavors. I really want to try this vanilla raspberry one with raspberry preserves inside. That's right up my alley. So, they are also doing the whole "stuffed cupcake" thing when the recipe calls for it. They have the "Hostess" one with the chocolate frosting and tell-tale white swirl. Of course there are the staples of vanilla/vanilla, chocolate/chocolate, etc.

I had to run out because I needed to get my child from my store before he caused too much chaos. As I was about to go, Pam offered me a sample of a small red velvet cupcake. I used to LOVE red velvet. But, I don't know, the popularization of it here has seemed to bastardize it somehow. I was ordering it everywhere it was offered and I have to say, a lot of what I bought was not good. I was kind of nauseated by the thought of any more red velvet PRIOR to today. But, I remembered my first taste of it, when it was good somewhere (maybe that was Billy's Bakery in NYC but I'm not totally sure), and recalled how much I loved it and would seek it out. There was no way I was turning down free cake so of course I took it. But more, for two reasons. One, I did say I'd be back to check them out once they had time to get settled. Two, someone DID write as a comment on my other blog about cupcakes that A la Cupcakes made them a red velvet cake that was fabulous. I felt I needed to try it out.

I ate it quickly on my way up the street. I did my errand and I actually jogged (those who know me know, I am no runner unless someone is chasing me) back to their store to tell them that it was THE BEST red velvet I've ever tasted. The cake was super moist and the FROSTING...Oh. My. God. It was PERFECT. I think that's a huge problem with many of the cakes/cupcakes I've tried. Some frosting is seriously nauseating. It's too sweet or not creamy enough or I don't know what. But, a lot of times, it doesn't taste fresh. Sometimes it can even taste chemical. THIS, this was the lightest, fluffiest cream cheese frosting that melted in my mouth. I can see it getting a little messy because it doesn't have that thicker, stiffer feel of a cream cheese frosting. But, I prefer this- I'd just lick my finger. It was almost like fresh whipped cream with a cream cheese edge to it. Really, really good. I'd totally buy it as a cake or cupcakes. I'm back loving red velvet. Well, theirs, anyway.

I think the best way to describe the cake part is "homemade". It tastes like someone who knows what they're doing baked it from scratch in their house. Not mass produced or frozen then thawed kind of cake.

They also make breads & cookies too- I honestly didn't even have time to look at the breads and there were some cookies but not a lot. I wish they did have more stuff- if everything else is as good as the cupcake I had, then I'm sure I'd be back to buy.  I love a good Blondie, I love specialty brownies like chocolate cheese when it's done right, etc. I'd also love to see some nice cookie platters. If I was going to someone's house for a playdate, I'd like to be able to get a nice small platter or box of a variety of pretty cookies. Those oblong cookies with the chocolate/sprinkles on the one end & jelly filling. More of a full service bakery feel. Wyckoff Bakery going out of business left a real hole for a good place to get baked goods to take on the go.  BUT, maybe just concentrating on the cupcakes is the way to go for now- they're obviously doing something correctly by the taste of the cake so maybe they don't want to get in over their head.

They also do all kinds of cakes- I saw pictures of what looked like a beautiful cross Christening cake. There was a two-tier birthday cake that looked like a "Desserts of Distinction" cake my friend had for her son's recent birthday. There were others too that looked really pretty.

Anyway- I'd high-tail it over there for some red velvet if you're hungry for cupcakes and want something really good. They also do deliveries too. I'm not sure how that works or who they deliver to, but if I worked in an office, I'd certainly consider Cupcake Wednesdays!

Oh, and loved that John was on the corner giving out cake. If I could have someone in a lampshade costume outside my store, I would. Great way of getting people in. Shows you care and really want people to try your product. Everyone stop by and get a taste while he's still out there! It would be cool if he was in a cupcake costume, but who knows, Halloween is coming!!!

2 comments:

  1. YES! I am so glad you like their cupcakes because I adore them. A La Cupcakes are the best ones I have ever tried and I've tried all the shops in the area. I keep going back to them anytime I need to give a gift or bring something to someone's house because I really want them to stay in business. I love that they don't put too much "red" in their red velvet. Today I tried their pumpkin spice and it was incredible. Try the chocolate chip cookie cupcake- it's basically a half baked cookie in a cupcake wrapper, it's delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should've told me you like them so much- I would've gone back sooner. I will definitely be back. I'm still thinking about that raspberry one.

    I just wish they gave being open on Mondays a longer try. My feeling is if your "competition" is closed, you should be open. Last year (before A la opened) i needed mini-cupcakes to bring somewhere on sunday morning. I wanted to get them from Carousel. Closed. Went up the street & Crumbs was open. Not my 1st choice but I bought them. Convenience.

    B went to A la Cupcakes on my birthday (it fell on a Monday) & they were closed. He got me something else. Maybe if they did a special coupon or special something on Mondays they'd do well. I just honestly think it isn't the day, it's that people don't really know they're there or what they do. There's a street fair in Glen Rock on Oct 2- maybe they'll have a table.

    At any rate, I will go back, I will tell people, and I would definitely consider them for E's birthday cake depending on cost. If not for E, then for ME!!!

    ReplyDelete