Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Dance Fever

Today was E's first class at Wyckoff School of Dance. I can say it is 100% worth it! He LOVED it. The class was made up of three little girls around 3.5 yrs old and E, who is only 2.5. I was a little nervous for him because all the girls are older, one has taken ballet prior, and who knows with him- you never know if he's going to behave. To be perfectly honest, while he seemed to enjoy the trial in the summer, I was in the room and he decided the barre was more of a monkey bar and hung from it. I assume this is frowned upon during class.

Without me in the room, he flourished. I'm not just saying that because I'm his mom. He's a Tasmanian Devil in music class (I'm in the room for that). He doesn't listen so well in there or follow directions. He's getting better but I have no illusions about my child. That's why I was so proud and pleasantly surprised that he jumped into this class like he was Danny Terio.  He only lost focus maybe 2-3 times for just a moment but since it's such a small class, the teacher really reigned him in quickly.

It definitely wasn't girl-centric. Any boy could take that class without their PARENT feeling awkward (I say parent, because I doubt kids feel very specific gender roles yet). I feel sad knowing that many dads would have an issue with this kind of class. I know B wasn't jumping for joy at the prospect when he came home and saw E in "leggings" (ok, they were pj bottoms but quite form-fitting) and his new black ballet slippers. He did give me the side-eye then quickly say to E, "WOW! Are those your new ballet shoes?? How COOL!" which I thoroughly appreciated. I would have been furious had he goofed on him or made a disparaging comment.  Luckily my husband trusts my judgment in these areas, which I appreciate.

I took video of E through the two-way mirror and sent it to B and he was super impressed and proud too. It was the first video I've bothered to post to Facebook. So, suffice to say, I'm so happy with this choice of classes. When E came out of the dance studio to me, he was beaming.

Thanks to Wyckoff School of Dance for a wonderful experience. Eat it- "In the Spotlight" in Waldwick for suggesting "Karate or Gymnastics because boys his age don't have the attention span and it's inappropriate to be butterflies" and such. You. Were. Wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment