Saturday, August 27, 2011

When life gives you fine lines and wrinkles

Everyone knows I tan. I grew up in a "tan family". It's in my genes. When I was a kid, my parents took us to the temple of their religion- Tanism.  We spent a lot of time playing in the lobby of Tanique in Oradell, thinking all kids did this. At that time tanning salons had no regulations, your nose could touch actual sun lamps & the dials went up to 45 minutes. When there was sun out, there were my parents, practically with those old-school reflector things. Obviously I was never taught much about skin care, sunscreen or wrinkle prevention.

Sheepishly I admit to still tanning. Indoor and out. It's MUCH less than before. Hey- I spent much of my adult life working in tanning salons, there is a tanning bed in my brother's old room in my childhood home, and I worked for an indoor tanning lotion company for 3 years. I used to have to go like once a week. I'm now down to maybe once a month. Progress. Small-slow-baby-steps-progress.

In 2001 I had a shore house in Belmar and we used to take a lot of pictures in the bar with those take & toss cameras. At the end of that summer, I was looking at my last photos from Labor Day Weekend and I noticed crows feet. I hated them! It looked awful. But, I didn't seriously think about doing something that involved a plastic surgeon. It was just something I didn't like to see.

In 2005, I got engaged. I knew I didn't want crows feet making an appearance in my wedding photos. If I was going to pay thousands of dollars for pictures, I didn't want wrinkles airbrushed out, I wanted to come to the party wrinkle-free.

Before the wedding I decided to go see an old Jdate-turned-friend, Dr Elan Singer, for Botox. He assured me he wouldn't freeze my face, although, I didn't think that actually sounded so bad. They numbed my face for 15 minutes prior to treatment. He did very few injections- 12 units, into my crows feet area. Like magic, crows feet be GONE! It was amazing.

It wasn't like a HUGE change. But, I looked less tired, more refreshed, and best ever- no crows feet. I could smile a giant smile and....NOTHING. Same smile, same eyes, just no wrinkles. I started going every six months. Dr Singer's office works with the Brilliant Distinctions program by Allergan. Allergan makes Botox (and other fillers). When you go to the doc and get injections, based on how much you get, you get points deposited in your BD account. Points translate into coupons.  I usually get 200 points every time so I always end up having a coupon for $25 off. My bill is usually around $220 so with my coupon it ends up being UNDER $200 to be rid of crows feet for half a year! Most people I know spend more on their HAIR and more frequently.

One time I did my forehead and between my eyebrows. They were having a 20% off special for bringing a new client. I brought "N" (until she reads this and allows me use of her name in association with fillers, I'm not outing her) with me for that special. I think she got 20% off and I got 30% off for bringing her so I figured I'd go for the extra injections. It still cost me only somewhere between $200-$300. It was great and I loved the effects, but I just can't go above my usual cost right now to do all of that again without a special. I don't remember the amount of units I used that time.

"N" has a scar between her eyebrows and did Juvederm there and I can honestly say it took 5-10 years off her age combined with the botox she got on her forehead. She looked amazing. I compared pics of her before and after and I thought she looked fab.

Since 2006, I've been going to see Dr Singer and in all those injections I've only been slightly bruised twice. He doesn't overdue it, he's way easy on the eyes which is comforting anytime you have to have any cosmetic work done, and he's painless (as painless as any injection can be). I've never actually FELT a Botox injection. I've been told fillers are more painful because their consistency is thicker than Botox.

I've sent numerous friends and family to Dr Singer and their only concern after they've gone to him is whether he is single or not. **For the record, I do not know his dating status these days**

Dr Singer is part of the Plastic Surgery Group in Montclair and also has his own practice in NYC. I go to Montlair because it takes me 20 minutes to get there and parking is free and easy behind their building. http://www.psg1.com/psg1-about_dr_singer.htm

His NYC practice- http://www.ebsplasticsurgery.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment