Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Knotties, Nesties & Bumpies- Oh My!

I don't understand how more people don't use message board to their full advantage. I get people have to work, can't always get on during work, or if you have kids, you're obviously taking care of your kids. But, when you're getting married, buying a house, having kids, looking for somewhere to live, so on and so forth, I don't know where else people find anything out. Why wouldn't you look to a board of your peers who can give you instant gratification when it comes to research?? I don't get it. It's like the cliff notes of research. In a minute you can post a question and have 2-25 responses in like an hour's time. Many times, you have answers in minutes. In this day and age of hurry-hurry, who wouldn't want that?

I first got involved in message boards when I first discovered the internet in 1996. It was either '96 or '97 when I found the message board for the clothing store Express. It was sort of a free for all with a simple format and a bunch of strangers from all over the globe to talk to about whatever. I was hooked. It had absolutely nothing to do with Express clothing, except one girl did happen to work for an Express retail store. We talked about everything and anything and by the time 2000 rolled around and I had a terrible heartbreak, they were the people I looked to for support. And I got it in droves.

Fast forward to 2005 when I got engaged. I found www.theknot.com. Somehow, again, I found the message boards there and I was hooked. I first started on the NEY (Not Engaged Yet) board because I was intrigued that there even was such a place. I also found my "local" board, NJ, which became invaluable when planning my wedding.  DJ's, flowers, wedding planners, caterers, cakes, etc- it's all in one place. It's a real sense of community and many of us moved over to the Nest within 6 months of getting married. www.thenest.com

The nest is more married-oriented stuff. But there are so many sub-boards that it's really for anyone. Decorating, health and fitness, starting over, single parenting, same-sex households, cooking, and so on- I can't imagine where you would find all this info, especially in one place. Of course I spend most of my time on my local, but there IS something for everyone.

There is also the bump- www.thebump.com which obviously is about pregnancy and kids. I don't use those boards because my local on the nest is enough for me. But, when I was thinking, then trying to get pregnant, I did check in there a few times for info. So it's worth a look.

At any rate, all these message boards have a STRONG sense of community. Everyone rallies when someone needs it. These women support each other hardcore. There are heartfelt congrats for births, condolences and hugs for death, support of "Nestie" businesses, special get-togethers, happy/sad/fun stuff, and more. Without my local board I would have no idea what a miracle blanket or a boppy is, what else to put on a baby or even a bridal registry.

Most of the "regulars" I have been posting with since 2005-2006. It's now 2011 and we're all still going strong. We've gained new people, lost some oldies, but all in all, it's been a great place to vent, confess, laugh, get ideas, support, and make friends. Even if you're new and not a regular, everyone is accepted. Some people are more comfortable just "lurking" (reading but not posting) and that's fine too.

NJ Knot- http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey
NJ Nest- http://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/3230677/ShowForum.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment