Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Food Fight!

Sundays is the only day B is home from work, so Sundays is when we go out to breakfast. We have put a lot of time and effort into eating our way around the area so of course I thought I'd share...

There are three places we frequent but the winner is Strawberry Place, 72 S. Broadway, Nyack NY. It's like a 20-30 min ride from Glen Rock. http://www.yelp.com/biz/strawberry-place-nyack-2. They don't have their own website. I'm not surprised- they don't need one. The place has a 30+ minute wait at any given time. I actually found out about it on a jdate with guy who spent a lot of time in that area. Who knows, maybe it was his Jdate "place" to take 1st dates. However he came to find it and share it with me, thanks Jared. Best. Place. Ever.

There is no place that surpasses the quality of the food- EVERY. TIME. The portions are super-sized and the price is right on. They have a huge, fun, menu, and there is something for everyone. I always get the same thing- the Red, White & Blue Waffle. It's a Belgian waffle with fresh bananas, strawberries, blueberries and topped with whipped cream. B usually gets some kind of pancakes that have nuts or fall-esque ingredients like pumpkin, cinnamon, cranberry, etc. All the fruit is always extremely fresh. I've never been disappointed with their food.

It's also in downtown Nyack and what is cooler than walking around there if you have to wait for your table?  Sometimes you're lucky to get there on a street fair day. Eat then shop. It's a nice place to spend a few hours.

They change the menu seasonally so I think that's why you can't seem to find a menu online for them.

Cons: Don't try to get a stroller in there except maybe a Snap N Go. There is NO room for it. It's not a big place and the tables are very close together. They do have high chairs. The waiting area is TINY so if it's cold/rainy, be prepared if you have to wait outside. They are also CASH ONLY.

Number two for us is Cafe Angelique in Tenafly. http://cafeangelique.com/hours-n-directions.php  We've only been here maybe three times, but it never disappoints. Many know I am a creature of habit so of course, I always get the same thing. They have these mini pancakes that ROCK. Oh. My. God. They are these fluffy little quarter-sized "pancakes" that have confectioner's sugar sprinkled on them. The rest of the plate is liberally covered in fresh strawberries and bananas. I also, of course, get the dollop of fresh whipped cream.

B gets their yogurt/granola/fruit dish. He loves that kind of stuff so it's right up his alley. It's a good portion and he's always happy with his meal.

There are a few of them, which I didn't know- but the one we go to is in the old train station in downtown Tenafly. It's a very cool place to sit outside, people-watch, and there is a decent amount of parking on a Sunday because the retail stores are closed. We've sat outside all three times we were there. They also have high chairs. You can also walk around downtown Tenafly which is nice. Not as cool as Nyack because the Blue Laws in Bergen prevent the retail stores from being open, but there is window shopping and it's a nice place to walk on a nice day. Sometimes you catch a street fair there too.

Cons: It is $$$. I think breakfast for B, E & I was like $45 or something like that. The mini pancake dish with the whipped cream is $10-$11. The portions at Strawberry Place are larger and less expensive.

Lastly, we've been going to Stacks in Paramus. http://stacksofhoboken.com/. I have a mixed review on this one. Obviously the website says Hoboken because I guess that's where the original one is, but one opened on Rt 17 in Paramus in May. The first time we went was shortly after they first opened and we had a long wait around 10:30a-ish on a Sunday morning. They want the turnover to be quick so they really kind of rush you. That day I got a pancake meal sort of like my Strawberry Place standby. It was just ok. I felt the pancakes were a little dry. Totally edible, but a little dry. I also got a side of bacon and I felt like it had a bit of a funky taste. Not in a good way.

BUT, the 2nd and 3rd times we went I felt it got better. B and E both had whole grain pancakes with raisins and apples and both really enjoyed them. I really like that they do have "healthier" options. Mine isn't the the most healthy, but I try to give E something I don't have to feel guilty feeding him.

I've found that if we go earlier, like more in the 9a-10a time frame, it's a little faster to get a seat.

Cons: It's on 17. There is nowhere to go after. It's not the quaint area of Nyack to walk around after inducing your food coma. They do kind of rush you and if you aren't an early riser, expect to wait and entertain your child(ren) in the small waiting vestibule. It's also on the expensive side. Closer to Cafe Angelique prices than Strawberry Place.

Honorable mentions:

Classic Diner on Railroad Ave in Tenafly. We used to eat there a lot when we lived in Englewood. Good food, inexpensive. Unfortunately, you have to look a lot of JUICY-clad child butts, sometimes with accompanying Uggs (real ones), and little Kate Spade purses. On kindergarteners. But, if you put blinders on and just eat, you get a good meal. http://classicdinernj.com/

Gotham Diner on Broadway in Fair Lawn. Great portions, friendly staff & great food. I've never had a bad meal there. They have the best chopped salad menu ever. It's one of those "design your own" kind of thing I used to get when I worked in the city. There are literally like 50+ items on that salad menu. Of course, the con is that you can end up with a $12 salad, and I have. Trust me. But, it was worth it. It's huge. If you don't cover it in dressing, you could conceivably take half home. It's also not hard on the wallet either. But, expect a wait at peak times. http://www.gothamcitydiner.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment