Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Toddler Time

Toddler activities are a huge part of my life. My son is 2.5 and is full of energy. I don't think "average" amount of energy- I think much higher. Or I'm just really tired, which is a huge possibility. He's in music, gym, starting dance, has done swim lessons, and has been a part of two indoor open-play place memberships. I've tried places out and not liked them and there are some I can't live without.

Stroller Strides- http://classes.strollerstrides.net/search_results.aspx : I've been doing Stroller Strides with E since he was six months old. We're still going strong. It's 9a-10a, Mon-Sat. Mon-Wed-Fri it's at Riverside Square (meeting on the concierge desk) & Tue-Thur-Sat it's at Garden State Plaza (meeting in front of Lord & Taylor on the first floor). It's a great work-out, it's social and you're in the mall right when it opens! I can't say enough about it- it's been awesome. Sometimes I've been fitter than other times, sometimes it's more social for me, but I've met great people and had a lot of laughs. I'll continue doing it as long as my schedule allows. https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/strollerstridesofnorthernnj

Music for Aardvarks- www.ahummusic.com : E has been doing this since he is 8 mo old. He LOVES this. For us, I feel it all has to do with the teachers. E has been in Sean & Pat's class the entire time and he loves them. I think, especially for boys, it's cool to have male teachers whenever they can. Most likely, they won't have too many going further in school so it's a nice thing to have when you can. Sean and Pat also make it a "cool" class. It's not a typical kids music environment. The music itself comes from NYC so it's a little more "hip" than regular kids music. Not as folksy, kind of funny, a little sarcastic, and many NYC references.  There are three locations for Bergen- Ridgewood, Waldwick and the JCC in Washington Township. I prefer the room in Waldwick, but the class time in Ridgewood works better for me.

Little Gym (Waldwick)- http://www.thelittlegym.com/WaldwickNJ/Pages/default.aspx : E started here around 1 yr old. His teacher is Melissa. If you're looking for a real "gymnastics" class, this isn't it. But, if you want your child to socialize, burn off some energy, and learn some gymnastic skill, it's great. I think all the staff are good. We did his 2nd birthday party there and it was AWESOME. One hour of play, then a half hour to eat. Then it was OVER. They set up, clean up and you do NOTHING. I would highly recommend. Their party times are really convenient too (weekend)- 11a, 1p and 3p. We did the 11-12:30. Perfect timing for lunch then everyone gets to go home to nap or do other stuff for the day.

I did not sign up again for the fall because My Gym is opening in Glen Rock so I want to try that out.

JCC Bergen (Washington Township)- Swim Lessons - http://www.yjcc.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=75&Itemid=59 : E did this from 1 yr old-2 yrs old. We did the lessons there because they are the only place that does lessons on Sundays, that I am aware. Also, there was no crazy registration process like I hear there is at the YMCA in Wyckoff. It was easy to get in to the class and the instructor, Alex, was good for E's age group. The classes run from 9-12 or somewhere in that time on Sundays. I'm not sure about during the week. We stopped doing it because B was taking him and just needed a break. In hindsight, we should've stopped in the fall and picked it up for winter and spring. We stopped in February and by summer E was scared of the pool. It took a few tries before he would be comfortable in the pool again and he's never been afraid.

The only issues we had were that they are a bit unorganized. Sometimes the pool heater was broken and we were not notified with enough time prior to know not to come to class. The locker rooms are not designed for children and can be hard to get a squirmy toddler clean and changed. Sometimes there was a sub teacher and it seemed like a waste of a class.

The New Park & Play (Ramsey)- http://www.thenewparknplay.com/ : I LOVED this place all winter. It was my saving grace for something to do to tire E out from around 10:30/11a till around 1p. They're only open from November to the end of April, Mon-Thurs, 9a-5p. It's approx $225 for the "season" membership. To me, it was 100% worth it. I went three days a week on average. In the season E went he was 1 turning 2 and he learned SO much about sharing, playing with older and younger children in a "free play" atmosphere. It's a non-profit so it's in the basement of a church, it's cold in there- so bundle up, and it's mostly gently used toys. But, since the toys are "community property", it's easier to learn to share since no one is emotionally attached to "their" toy(s).

Cutie Patootie (Englewood)- http://cutiepatootiesplayspace.com/ : I bought the groupon for this place in June. It's been a great place to go when it's too hot to be outside or raining. It's more upscale than Park & Play because obviously it's not a non-profit. They sell some toys there. They have a big open space to run, climb, etc. There is room to do arts & crafts and you have use of any of their materials. E always enjoys going there. It's comfortable for the adults too. There is plenty of room to sit on the floor and there are pillows to sit on if you so desire.

The cons of CP that I saw are that there a lot of nannies that don't always pay attention/watch the kids they're in charge of really well. Even the parents who do come don't seem to watch their kids that well. I'm 100% on E all of the time while I'm there because E can get overexcited/hyper, but he isn't a "mean" kid. There have been a few instances where I had to reprimand the same kids over and over and no one seemed to do anything. I feel like because of where it is, how much $$$ it is, etc, the kids are more entitled than the kids at Park & Play so they can be brattier. That's just my observation.

JW Tumbles (Park Ridge)- http://jwtumbles.com/ : I did a trial class there. We did not like it. I felt all the people who worked there were really young, some were smoking outside before coming in, and in the open house, they didn't seem to have a lot of supervision going on. Even in an open house, they should have times divided by age. At the time my friends children and mine were only a little over 1 yrs old and there were too many bigger children there with them.

Wyckoff School of Dance- http://wyckoffschoolofdance.com/ : The ONLY school who is willing to take a boy in class in E's age group. Most likely, as long as the trial class goes well, I will be signing him up for the year. I called numerous schools in the area, including In the Spotlight in Waldwick and they all refused.

No comments:

Post a Comment