Friday, July 27, 2012

Smokin Body

Who doesn't want to look better or have a smokin' body? I assume most people do. Unless you're Gisele or Heidi and genetically blessed, anyone can use improvement. But HOW? Yeah, a lot of people can just take a class- be it yoga, spin, zumba, etc. But some of us are not coordinated and can't always make a class. Or just aren't motivated enough.

I've tried it all. I joined Health Spa 2 in Paramus when I was seventeen. I didn't know what I was doing and I can admit I was really there to meet guys. And I met guys- skeevy guys. But I guess that's another blog. Anyway...So that was kind of a wash. I went to college and didn't work out. I didn't even know the school had a gym. I gained way more than the "freshman 15". Then I'd lose in the summer working at day camp and start the cycle all over again every year. I've since joined a bunch of different gyms, all over, and never lasted more than a few months. I went the personal trainer route before my wedding and that was the only thing that stuck (besides Stroller Strides, but again, another blog). I loved having a trainer. I had done it one other time in my life for at least a year when I was in my early 20's. It was awesome but it had a shelf life because the training came attached to my romantic relationship at the time (he worked in a gym). When the relationship ended, so did my awesome deal on personal training. So sad.

So, it was pretty cool to find Volt Fitness, right in Glen Rock. I'd noticed before on my way to countless children's birthday parties at My Gym next door. But I'd never gone in till the other day. And what I found was really cool. It's not a fancy-shmancy gym where you put on a full face of makeup and make sure you're in your Lululemon best. This is a place where it looks like you get results. And THAT is what you're paying for. It's personal training, personal attention, and unique approaches. I admit I hate working out. I hate it with every fiber of my being. My exercise regimen consists of walking my treadmill in the morning for 30 min going only as fast as I can still hear the tv (about 3.8 mph on average. I think 80 yr olds move faster). But this place seems very appealing to me.

First- it is personal training. But the first session is free without having to buy a package first. Now most gym memberships give a free session but it's WITH membership. You're already locked into being member before you can try a personal training session. It's also more interesting than your average personal training, which is because of the second part...

They have therapeutic programs for individuals with ADHD, ages 5-18, and it is covered by participating health plans. There is a circuit for them with video games attached to exercise equipment. If the kid stops rowing or pedaling, the game stops. It's the coolest thing ever. There is also a special needs program which is a one-of-a-kind program. It is also covered by insurance. They specialize in working with children with a variety of challenges including autism spectrum disorders, ADHD, Oppositional Defiance Disorder, and developmental coordination disorders. I saw all the equipment and they're things *I* would be interested in doing for fitness and that's the cool part. When there aren't kids in that section, the adults use it as part of their personal training sessions.

They have different training packages. They have group sessions and private sessions. The group ones are at set times and you go with what works for you. AND, if you pay for a group session and there is only you in your group, you just lucked out in getting a one-on-one at that time. They don't make you pay extra if there is no one else showing up for your group. You aren't responsible for putting a group together, Volt is responsible.

Also, I know there are a lot of exercise bootcamps going on right now and they're great. It's just that for some, like me, it could be totally inconvenient timing. I can't be anywhere at 4:30, 5:30, six in the morning. It would totally disrupt our whole morning routine. (If being somewhere at 4:30a is right up your alley, I can recommend a great bootcamp but that isn't for me!) Volt's groups or personal training is mostly on your schedule.

Since I know a lot of people, the owner, Tom, gave me $50 gift cards to give out to anyone interested in possibly buying a package. I think that's a great incentive. They aren't good on just one session- you have to use it to buy a package. You could also give it as a gift- they are totally transferable. So, even if you aren't going to use it, you may know someone who would. Especially if you have a kid going off to college- you may want one for you AND you may want one for your college kid, for winter break when they've gained THEIR freshman 15! I would have LOVED if my parents gave me $50 toward personal training when I came home that first year because they could have rolled me back to school after that first semester. Or if you have a little one (or ones) finally in pre-school and can finally dedicate some time to working on yourself, this is the perfect place to start. They have plenty of parking too so it's not like going to some of the big gyms where you've basically done your workout just by parking in another time zone and walking to the joint!

If you're interested in a gift card- email me at tsdk74@yahoo.com or leave me an email address in the comments here or on my blog Facebook page- www.facebook.com/knowitallinnj

Right now I have 40 cards to give away, but only contact me if you're serious about starting your fitness regime and reclaiming your old skinny clothes. I have to assume that's many of you since my recent "Aimee's Story" blog (about her weight loss journey) was my highest viewed blog since I started this blog some 100+ entries ago.

http://www.voltfitnessusa.com/home.html

3 comments:

  1. This is awesome and IF I didn't live so far away, I would be asking you for a gift card! It's amazing how losing weight makes you WANT to exercise and I would personally LOVE the personal attention and low key atmosphere you're talking about at Volt Fitness. I struggle with finding the right exercise, moves, work-outs to do - and what I see in magazines and on TV just doesn't cut it for me. I need someone to show me. I think I'll look for something like this out in my neck of the woods!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally Aim. When I was at Newtown I had a great trainer that gossiped with me which was a plus. The one I had before my wedding was good looking and also gossiped with me. I either need someone hot or gossipy or both. But definitely the personal attention is the key. I've also gotten really hurt just doing stuff on my own because I didn't have the right form. At almost 38 getting hurt sticks around longer and seems more painful too for some reason. No good.

    I need the push of having to be there with someone waiting for me that isn't a friend who can convince me to skip the workout and go for Starbucks instead. I also get lazy and routined, doing the same thing every day, end up bored, and quitting. You can't get bored at this place- there is just too much to do. I haven't played video games since Super Mario Bros but I'd be willing to learn on this equipment!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your honesty in telling this story. I have felt so many of the same things and hearing that there can be a success is a big inspiration. Tom is my cousin so beyond being so proud of him and his accomplishments I love that he is giving this gift to others. I'm so proud of you both!!!

    ReplyDelete