Monday, June 11, 2012

I scream (ice cream)!

I'm actually not that into ice cream. It's one of those things I'm never really craving, but then I eat it and I'm like, "why don't I eat this more?!". B is a huge fan of ice cream. He'd eat it every day if he could. He really likes Ben & Jerry's. I like Ben & Jerry's if I'm picking it up in the supermarket in a pint. But if we're going to go out and get a cone, I want some other kind. I like hard ice cream vs soft serve and I wasn't picky about where to get it from. We have an actual Ben & Jerry's right next door in Ridgewood but I never feel like going there.

http://scoopshops.benjerry.com/scoopshops/ridgewood/default.aspx

We'd been told about Van Dyk's in Ridgewood forever- since we moved in in 2006. We just never got there. Finally one night we were driving by after dinner at The Office and decided to stop. I ordered Black Raspberry with chocolate sprinkles. It was okay. I liked it. I did have an issue though- it was that there is NOWHERE to sit outside. It's in a weird, residential spot- It looks like a house. But it has a big parking lot that's always packed. That's awesome. I'm just baffled that they can't throw a few benches or tables with chairs out there. I'm not sitting in my car, I'm not letting my three year old eat ice cream in the car, and it's just uncomfortable when trying to eat a cone to not be able to sit down. I don't know if they're worried about people hanging around, making noise in a residential neighborhood but people were hanging outside all by their cars so I don't see the difference. I'm pretty sure it looked like they even would have some room for tables or chairs on the inside but I didn't see any. It just seemed odd for the place that consistently wins awards for best ice cream to have nowhere to sit, especially for kids. By the time we left, my son was covered in ice cream and it was annoying. I don't think we'll be returning unless B just wants to go pick some up to bring home. With a small child I need somewhere to sit and napkins readily available. I can't stand, hold a cone, help my kid and clean him off all at once. I'd need to be an octopus. At any rate, it's convenient if you live in Glen Rock, Ridgewood, Hawthorne, etc, it's open from 11a-11p. I can't find a website for them. 145 Ackerman St, Ridgewood.

That brings me to my new obsession- Clyde's in Allendale. I can't stop thinking about it so it must be good. Clyde's is 100 years old, they also make their own ice cream and they're primarily known for their Italian Ices. I didn't know that. They started in Garfield and that's where they make everything, then bring it up to Allendale. I LOVE Black Raspberry ice cream, if I'm going to eat ice cream. I see that in a place and that's always my go-to flavor. Theirs is phenomenal. I asked what the secret is and was told that they use raspberry puree in it vs just a flavoring. I can totally tell the difference between theirs and others. They also have a variety of cones- sugar/cake, then chocolate chip cookie and various others. There is cream ice which is sort of an ices/ice cream hybrid. They all put in 100k soft serve frozen yogurt machine with 15 flavors and 50 different toppings. There are just a lot of options. They have milk shakes, egg cream, soda floats, slushies, sundaes, coffee and stuffed cupcakes. Now, of course I'm an A la Cupcakes loyalist so I didn't eat the cupcakes but they have them. They have A LOT of seating. At least 6 tables on the inside and they also have outdoor seating. It's been packed in the 4x I've been there already but was always able to get a table. They've only been in Allendale for about 1 month-6 weeks but I think they'll be around for a long time. The owner, his wife and their daughter are almost always there if you have questions. Very friendly people. They're open 7 days a week from noon-10p. I can't seem to find a website for them either so I'll put the address- 86 W. Allendale Ave, Allendale NJ and 48 Gaston Ave, Garfield NJ

You can find reviews on www.yelp.com

No comments:

Post a Comment