Friday, June 22, 2012

BBQ for you!

We were on the go again the other night when we realized it was almost 7p, had E with us, and no one has eaten. Nothing familiar sounded good. I finally remembered B had always wanted to try the BBQ place on Goffle Rd in Wyckoff. I thought it was Hawthorne but I was mistaken. B said every time he drives by the parking lot is packed.

I'd never been to a BBQ place. Well, that's not entirely true. One time, when I was visiting Tennessee for my job with John Abate, I ate BBQ in the Knoxville airport. I don't know what the name of the place was but it had a big pig face on the front. I remembered it being good.

So we went to Bourbon BBQ & Grill. Walking in, it feels like you're actually walking into Tennessee. It was so odd. But cool. Johnny Cash was playing and the place was busy. They have a decent size menu, including a children's menu. The children's menu has chicken fingers, hamburger, grilled cheese, etc. It was definitely a standard kids menu so I was able to order something for E that I know he'd eat. They even had milk, which believe it or not, can be scarce in restaurants.

B and I both ordered the BBQ Sampler- Brisket, pulled pork, and ribs with 2 sides. That is $19.99. I figured whatever I didn't eat, B could eat the next night. They have a decent amount of sides to choose from. I chose corn on the cob and sweet mashed potatoes. I LOVED the brisket and pork. The ribs weren't that great. They were kind of tough and not easily cut. They looked more like Chinese spare ribs than my perception of what BBQ ribs in a BBQ place should look like. Usually BBQ ribs are falling off the bone. I also didn't love my sweet mashed but the corn was perfect. The only thing I would've loved would've been some cornbread but I certainly didn't need it.

B got beans and something else as sides and he ate everything on his plate. He was stuffed and loved every bite.

The service was pretty slow but it sort of goes with the whole southern theme going on in there. And we didn't really care. But if you were in a hurry, I'm not sure they'd get you out of there in time.

It's definitely worth a try if you are craving BBQ. I don't know of any other places in the area. At least not this close by. I've never really investigated it though so I may be incorrect!!

http://www.bourbonbbq.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment