Monday, October 28, 2013

Wax On Wax Off

I think we all saw The Karate Kid. The first one- with Ralph Macchio. Not the remake. Or the third one, which wasn't good at all. You get the point. It taught Daniel focus, self-confidence, and how to defend himself. That's what martial arts teaches. For us, the focus component is key. It could be said that both my husband and I have forms of attention deficit. But we slipped through the cracks in the 80's because we didn't cause trouble, teachers liked us, and we basically just flew under the radar. But we're seeing signs of both of us in E that lean toward his attention and focus being less than stellar. We don't want him to fall through the cracks so we're really paying attention.

I have a kid that runs around in circles. Not sometimes. Not just when he's excited. Not because he's practicing to be a compass. He can't stop himself. He has ants in his pants all the time. And sort of like the Perfect Storm, all in one week it has been brought to our attention that he has been having trouble focusing. He's fine, he's listening, then all of a sudden, he isn't. He's easily distracted. Sure that's partially age- he's a little over four and a half. But it's also a little bit more than that.

It was recommended to us to try signing him up for martial arts. We don't really have the time or the money but we feel like we have to do something so we signed him up. Lucky for us, there is a Tae Kwon Do studio right in the same shopping plaza as our business, so that was easy enough. Convenience is key. My husband and I both work so having a studio so close to school and work is a no-brainer.

E went to one class already and he loved it. He takes ballet, tap and improvisation classes. But this is different. He likes the other classes but when I asked him what he did, he says that he doesn't remember. But when we asked what he did in Tae Kwon Do, he actually showed us the moves he learned.

The time commitment isn't too difficult either. He can only come one day. That's all the time I have free and the only way I can keep it from being cost prohibitive. The philosophy of this studio comes across as- More would be better but one day is better than none. I like that. I didn't feel pressured to do more or like he won't get anything out of the one day. And later on we can revisit doing more but for now, while he is committed to these other activities, the one is enough.

They are doing an introductory offer/classes so I thought I'd put it out there:

No comments:

Post a Comment