Wednesday, May 15, 2019

War On Women



I know people who read this blog expect me to write about what's going on in the country. You know, the war on women. Also, woman on woman crime- I'm looking at you Kay Ivey. Maybe I'm expected to start yelling in here. Start crying. Begging. I just can't. I don't have it in me to go into a whole thing. I'm only posting this because I feel like I have to say SOMETHING. Otherwise, it's seems like I don't care or I don't have an opinion. I have plenty of opinions. I have a hate cape with a mile long train. I already had to mute The View, which I had on at work, because Meghan McCain's big mouth on abortion was about to have me chucking the whole tv right out the front door. However, that would only hurt me, since small tv's are a rarity and Meghan's ultra annoying, ultra privileged, ultra WRONG commentary is only a small portion of my day.

I don't know what to say. I assume the people who read me, like what I have to say. I'm not Howard Stern- no one is hate-reading to see if I have anything shocking to put out there. I have to think that what I say is preaching to the choir. You can't seem to change people's minds about abortion. Except of course, if you're a GOP politician with a pregnant mistress. Or, if something tragic in that realm happens to you or someone you love, where abortion seems like the only logical answer.

I've heard the response, "If my daughter was raped, I'd raise the baby!". I'm confused and really saddened by that though. While that's a nice sentiment, what if the daughter is a tween? Like, the eleven year old that is a victim of rape and maybe with a side of incest. Or fourteen, fifteen... You'd raise the baby, sure. But you're going to also force your daughter to go through the trauma of child birth? I wonder if that entered her mind. I birthed a human. It was a "picture perfect, textbook birth". Yet, it was still traumatic AF on my thirty-four year old body. Just ask my husband who had to hear about it and deal with it for months after. How are we supposed to expect old white men to advocate for women when we're not willing to do it for ourselves and our daughters??

I can't imagine making a raped kid also go through pregnancy and then child birth. And then have their mom raise their baby. To me, that sounds like a giant punishment for something they didn't do or choose. Women are still dying in child birth in this country. I wonder if an eleven or twelve year old even makes it out of a birth alive.

Not to mention how traumatic it would be to have this baby in your home as a reminder, being raised by someone other than them. They get their whole first baby thing taken away from them. So add that to list of traumatic parts to an already traumatic situation. 

And you all know this isn't even about abortion. It's about women being vessels of childbirth. It's about keeping women barefoot and pregnant, and in the kitchen (for good measure). It's about control. Keeping women out of the work force. Keeping women from having autonomy over their own bodies.

Just know, the word or term "pro-life" doesn't exist. It's anti-abortion. Anti-women. Most of all, it's PRO-BIRTH. None of these people care what happens to the fetus once it's an outside baby. None of them want to fund programs to help kids born to mothers who didn't want to be or didn't choose to be mothers. If you think adoption is the be-all, end-all of answers just means that you come from a place of extreme privilege that allows you to think that. Just look at the completely broken foster care system in this country, PACKED with unwanted, abused, neglected, and delinquent kids. Kids were not adopted. When pro-birthers figure out what to do with and about them, and actually put those ideas into play with success, then come talk to me about criminalizing abortion.

Until then, looking at you Ms McCain, shut it. "Late term abortion" isn't "black and white", like you barked at Amy Klobuchar on The View today. For someone who is so damned loud and a bigger know it all than me, I'd think you'd educate yourself on how these archaic and extreme laws affect people in all shades of gray.

I encourage everyone to watch the documentary Foster if you're curious how it's going in the Foster care system.

No comments:

Post a Comment