Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Update: A Kidney for Alex

In my best Oprah- "YOU get a kidney! And YOU get a kidney! EVERYONE GETS A KIDNEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

You know who really got a kidney? Alex! I only wrote about Alex needing a kidney at the beginning of December '17 ( Kidney 4 Alex ). No one, including Alex, thought it would all happen so fast. I watch all the medical shows- Grey's Anatomy, Chicago Med, The Resident, The Good Doctor.... There are people waiting years for organs.

The ball got rolling, so many people came out of the woodwork to sign up to be tested, and the registry was even stopped for her because there were so many people willing to be tested. Turned out, romance stepped in, and the first match was the first one tested. That donor is Alex's husband Michael. Knowing them, that was the perfect way for it to go down. Keeping it in the immediate little family of three.

Of course that's scary because as the parents of an only child, that means both parents in for surgery, under anesthesia, and down for the count during recovery. But what's more romantic than really living your vows- for better or worse, in sickness and health and being able to donate an organ to the person to whom you've pledged that??

The surgery was a week ago. We had our "Last Supper" at Grand Lux Cafe in Garden State Plaza, fittingly, the Saturday night before Easter. Once all the i's were dotted and the t's crossed, it was a quickly scheduled surgery in NYC. They went in first thing Thursday morning and everything went off without a hitch. I was getting updates from Mike's mom - when he got out and when Alex went in, then when Alex came out. I was at work but happy to hear a thumbs up on all fronts.

They're doing well! Mike is a little sore but he's been walking around town. I took Alex to the doctor at the hospital this morning for her first post-operation check-up. We left the house at about quarter to six in the morning. I'm not really a morning person so I set three alarms. We made it and we were the second people there. They weren't even open yet. We were there for about three and a half hours, they checked her out, and all is well.

I'm so happy. I can see the difference in Alex already. Her demeanor is just...sunnier. She's smiling a lot and she feels more energetic. I wasn't really worried- since it's all about me, I felt that the universe wasn't giving me another terminal friend. I also just don't think negatively like that. It was serious though, and I was cognizant of that. So I'm just glad it's over and they're both on the road to recovery. Both B and I do like to joke how Mike is now inside her forever. Take that how you will. 

They both have some restrictions- no crowded places like supermarkets or restaurants. Everyone that comes into the house needs to wash their hands. No one with a cold or cough can visit. They really just need to stay away from germs as much as humanely possible. If you want to give Alex something she can use, give her some of those masks they wear at the nail salon or doctors wear during surgery. Seriously.

People keep asking what they can do for them. Alex and Mike would tell me to say nothing, because I asked them about a meal train and they thought I was crazy. But they have now used Fairway for grocery delivery so if you want to get them something, arrange for a Fairway delivery or send them a gift card for there. Mike really likes the cookies from The Cookie Connect in Bloomfield. Oh, and Alex likes Zadies in Fair Lawn, Rocca and Rock Kitchen in Glen Rock, and Trader Joe's. Just saying. By the way- They're going to kill me for writing this part because they have a hard time accepting help, but whatever. She didn't even want to ask me to drive her to the doctor today. But, they can't drive! Besides- people like to help, they like to give stuff, and Mike and Alex don't have a giant fridge for all the ziti trays people tend to make during a meal train.

So that's it. The road to recovery is long and there's many doctor's appointments in their futures, meds to take, and whatnot, but the worst is over! The surgery was successful so far and they're both home resting and spending time with their daughter and the rest of their families. And me, B, and E.

1 comment: