Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Broad Street Dough Co

I mentioned in yesterday's post about Catsbury Park Cat Cafe that we originally came down the shore because I'd been wanting to try this doughnut place - Broad Street Dough Co. It's in Oakhurst and I knew that was by our shore haunts during the summer, but we'd never been able to make it there in our limited time on Sundays. We had E's swim meet in Perth Amboy, early last Sunday, so we knew we were more than halfway to Oakhurst from home and could easily make it down there.

It did not disappoint. From the decor to the doughnuts, it was top notch. It's in a big shopping plaza on Rt 35 so it was tricky to find, but happy we did! I guess doughnuts are the craze now. There are a few doughnut places that have popped up down in that area, so I guess I'll just have to work my way around.



In the little industrially decorated shop, it was BUSY! We were there for at least thirty minutes, getting the lowdown on the flavors, how they're made to order, etc. I'm loving this "made to order" scene. At the one gourmet or specialty-type doughnut place by me, it's a first come, first served kind of thing. You snooze, you lose. You have to hope they still have what you want in stock. At Broad Street, you pick what you want and they make it there. There isn't that rush to get there before the selection is all picked over. That happens with cupcake places too. Come toward the end of the day and you're stuck with whatever is left. With cupcakes, since the cake flavors differ, you can't really make them order or you'd need like ten ovens. With doughnuts, if you start with a plain base and just dip, fill, sprinkle and drizzle, you can make them to order.

The owner, a pretty blond whose name I didn't catch, was friendly and more than happy to discuss all our doughnut options. She accommodated all my packaging needs, since I was bringing doughnuts to two different Bergen County families. Just call me Doughnut Santa. She even did an "Instagram Story" with us. I don't know how to do that, or how it works, but now B wants me to learn for our store. But I did take a screen shot of it and now it's on here.

All the employees were super nice and helpful. You can add or subtract toppings even on the "specials". I got a cookie dough special but it comes with non-pareils on it. I hate those. I don't like the way they feel on my teeth. They made E one with and me one without.

I also got another special which was vanilla icing with Fruity Pebbles and a "Shrewsbury Fields" which was like a Strawberry Glazed. I'm not sure which was my favorite but I liked them all.

They offer many doughnut options including Vegan, Gluten Free and Parve. They are certified Kosher Dairy, under JSOR Supervision. While they are not a nut-free facility, they can accommodate most nut allergies since their actual doughnut is made without nuts.

We didn't over-buy like we did with Duck Donuts at the end of the summer. We realized then that doughnuts don't really "keep" like cupcakes do. They're more something to eat right away- even better when they're warm. I didn't try to make these last- we got them Sunday and they were finished by Monday so I can't say whether these would keep better than the other ones. I suspect that these specialty, fresh doughnut places have less preservatives so it's not like a Dunkin' Donut that you can probably put in a time machine and it would be fine. But who wants time machine doughnuts? I'm happy to keep going back for fresh, made to order ones!

http://www.broadstreetdoughco.com/

Sunday's specials






No comments:

Post a Comment