Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Yani's Bake House

I took E to dance with only the intention to go home and lay on the couch when we got home. I was falling asleep while sitting in the waiting room of his dance class so I was trying to find something to focus on. BINGO. I saw a grand opening flyer for Yani's Bake House, a new local bakery in Fair Lawn. I'm always up to try baked goods. I Google-mapped it and it said it is one minute from the dance school. AND open until 7p. Ok, we were going as soon as E was done.

I made that left on to River Road from Fair Lawn Ave and it was like RIGHT there. On the right hand side. I didn't see what it was next to except a pet grooming place. E was trying to read the word "salon" while I was trying to park and then he was asking a million questions about why a dog would go to a salon.  It's small, so it isn't a place to sit and drink coffee. It's where you go to grab some stuff to hide in your house for you to eat alone.

I stopped in at around five o'clock so I don't know if they had other stuff earlier in the day. When I came in, there were vanilla/caramel cupcakes, chocolate cupcakes, three different kinds of scones, thick chocolate chip cookies, some kind of caramel cake in mason jars, and my all time favorite- French macarons. Oh, and cream puff shells. They fill the shells as you buy so they don't get soggy. I was confused because I never had a soggy cream puff. HOWEVER, I also never had whatever was inside these either. I normally would never get a cream puff with custard inside. I'm a whipped cream kind of gal. I asked what the creme filling is in them and she said it's sort of a combination of whipped cream and custard. That did sound interesting so I got two of those too. I didn't have high hopes though because I usually don't like the filling unless it's just whipped cream.

Well, I tried a cream puff after dinner last night. I don't know what that was in there, but it wasn't overly thick so I can understand the whole soggy thing. But it was SO good. I would definitely get them again. I have one left and I'm not sharing.

E had the chocolate cupcake. It's not my thing - I have to be honest. I prefer much sweeter fare. But E and B LOVE this type of dark chocolate taste. I gave it to E, but after just tasting a little bit, I know B would've really enjoyed it too. I'm just not much of a chocolate cake person to begin with. I'm always going with the vanilla. I didn't get to eat my cupcake yet. I'll be doing that today. I did stick my finger in the frosting. I liked it a lot. I will only say I wish there was more frosting on them. I like a lot of frosting. I don't like to see any cake on the top. But that's just my personal preference.

I brought the French macarons to work today to enjoy with my coffee I decided to buy this morning on my way to work. I bought three. I know one was guava, one was nutella and I think the other one was peanut butter and chocolate. I would never have picked guava, but it was pink and it looked like strawberry or raspberry, so I figured I'd give it a whirl. They were ALL really good. Again, I'm not a big fan of chocolate so I liked that one the least, but for chocolate people, you'll love it. I actually liked the guava one the best! I thought I'd favor the nutella, so I surprised myself. I will definitely be back for those.

I didn't buy or try the scones but that's because I have it in my head that scones are hard. Crunchy. I prefer chewy baked goods over crunchy so it just didn't seem like it would be my thing. But they did look tempting. I don't know if I've ever really looked at one up close, but they actually looked like they'd be tasty. They just aren't something I'd normally think to eat. I tried a sample of whatever was in the mason jar and that was really good. E really enjoyed the sample as well.

So go check out Yani's Bake House if you get a moment. It's always nice to welcome a new small business owner to the area and satisfy your sweet tooth at the same time. They're very friendly in there and I'm sure they'll be happy to see you!


No comments:

Post a Comment