Sunday, July 6, 2014

Life's A Beach

I was recently at the beach with friends who are self-proclaimed beach novices. Not from Jersey or Bergen County, they didn't spend their lives trekking down the shore. They're not sun-worshippers like B and I. In fact, they're quite the opposite. We sat on that beach for like four hours, sitting in direct sunlight, yet they proudly came off the sand without a drop of color. It was definitely an accomplishment. While they aren't vying for the best Hawaiian Tropic tan, they do enjoy the beach. They just don't have all the creature comfort items that I don't go to the beach without.

When we got home, I compiled her a little list that would help any down the shore trips be just easier and more convenient. Most aren't necessities, they're just nice to have. My car is packed from Memorial Day through Labor Day with my beach and pool accoutrements. The Mini trunk is set up like Jenga. But I'm never missing anything. If we can't get a cabana/locker at a beach club then I'm just going to keep it all in the car and be ready at a moment's notice. We live about 75-90 minutes from the beach we normally frequent. I like to be prepared and have the car ready to go so I don't have to rush around the morning we want to go and be stressed out because I forgot something.

So, here's my list of "stuff". B goofs on me for all the stuff I bring everywhere, but then is way grateful when my gadgets make things more convenient for him. Enjoy!

Wet bag- I used to travel with just random plastic baggies. Like from CVS or the supermarket. But one time, I guess there was tanning oil/lotion on something in the bag. It was a Target bag with those red bulls-eyes on it. The red started coming off on everything. That was the last time I did that. I got a wet bag and never looked back. It's deceptively large. It holds a bathing suit and a towel. Not a crazy large towel but a regular thin beach towel. I have one for E and one for me. This brand comes in many colors/patterns and you can use an unexpired Bed, Bath & Beyond coupon in Buy Buy Baby to get it.

 
 
image
 
 
 
 
 
Itzty Ritzy Travel Happens™ Sealed Wet Bag in Big Top Do...
Instead of letting a little mess ruin your day, just travel with the Travel Happens™ Sealed Wet Bag! This reusable wet bag holds everything from diapers, swimsuits,...
Preview by Yahoo
 
 
I've talked about my Pack It love before. But this link is for the "social cooler", which is basically a family sized Pack It bag. It's great for the beach. I hate having to bring a cooler with separate ice packs. They just take up room.
 

This one is self-explanatory. I got mine in CVS but I like this one better. I saw it in person the other day and had I had another BBB coupon on me, I would've gotten it. It's just nice to be able to wear the phone around my neck too. Cuts down on it falling in the sand or getting wet.

 
 
image
 
 
 
 
 
Waterproof Phone Pouch
Waterproof phone pouch is perfect for water sport enthusiasts, boaters and beach-goers. Pouch keeps personal electronics dry, while the foam insert allows the pouch...
Preview by Yahoo
 
 
 
I just posted about Saltwater Canvas in June. But here it is again. I love this bag- the Whale. I actually just got a second one. One for the pool and one for the beach. It has like eight pockets on the outside and one zip pocket on the inside. It also has a small hook on the inside so you could hang your keys, pool badges or whatever.
 
 
 
image
 
 
 
 
 
Whale Mesh Beach Bag * Sage * Wht Pkt * Pine Straps * OV...
Whale Mesh Beach Bag in a quiet sage blend, 9 pockets, inner zipper, & roomy middle. Mesh sheds sand, water, rinses off at end of day, Moms favorite.
Preview by Yahoo
 
 
A sand anchor is a must if you use an umbrella. Our umbrella is easy to set up with it and never blows away. Without it, trying to just set up an umbrella is a pain.
 
 
 
image
 
 
 
 
 
Sand Anchor / Auger for Beach Umbrellas
Amazon.com : Sand Anchor / Auger for Beach Umbrellas : Sports & Outdoors
Preview by Yahoo
 
 
I don't actually have this chair but I want it. It's my dream chair. I threw it in there just because I love it. It looks awesome. I have a regular reclining chair from Bed Bath & Beyond. Nothing fancy. $29.99 before coupon. I picked it because it has a strap to carry it with.
 
 
 
image
 
 
 
 
 
Ergonomic Beach Lounge Chair
Relieves back and neck tension while you relax in the sun.
Preview by Yahoo
 

This is my actual chair- It's fine. It's light, easy to carry and fully reclines.

Five-Position Beach Chair
 
 
image
 
 
 
 
 
Five-Position Beach Chair
Beach chair with a rust-resistant aluminum frame and solid wood arms adjusts to five positions for your comfort. Steel seat provides added strength, plus chair lays...
Preview by Yahoo
 
 
I have a bunch of these hooded towels. I like them because they're poncho-like. Good for a little privacy if you're changing kids on the beach or at the pool. They're not just hooded and open. Thing is, they're not that big. E is five and around forty-seven inches. They're still fine on him but I think this is the last year they will be. I have one bigger Green Lantern one that I got from Zulily last year but that bigger size is hard to find. I originally bought these smaller ones for camp so he wouldn't be dragging a towel across the dirty ground, as kids his age and younger tend to do. Camp implemented towel service so now it's a moot point. But I still have about six of them so I use them for the town pool.

Kids Printed Hooded Beach Towels
 
 
image
 
 
 
 
 
Kids Printed Hooded Beach Towels
Perfect at the beach, pool or lake, your little one will love drying off and keeping warm with this ultra-soft and stretchy hooded velour towel with fantastic print...
Preview by Yahoo
 
 
I bought three of these towels in orange and light blue a few years ago. They've held up really well, are a great size, and perfect for the beach and pool. Not too thick but not cheapy-thin either.
 
 
image
 
 
 
 
 
Sea Shells Beach Towel in Sand
Relax and catch some rays in style with this beach towel showcasing delightful sea shell prints on a sand-colored background. It measures 36 x 72 and features 2-ply...
Preview by Yahoo
 
 
This isn't a necessity by any stretch but I like it. I don't get to use it if it's just E and I at the pool but I use it at the beach and I have high hopes for the day I get to just sit at the pool, alone, and read a magazine.
 
 
image
 
 
 
 
 
O2Cool Deluxe Misting Fan, Transparent Purple
Amazon.com - O2Cool Deluxe Misting Fan, Transparent Purple - Electric Personal Fans
Preview by Yahoo
 
 
This is like the misting fan- not a necessity, but nice to have. I have this one but I first found the one below it online when I couldn't remember the brand I have. So I have both here. I'm sure either one is fine. It really works. At the beach I put it on my chair behind me on my back.


 
 
image


Easiest kids face stick ever. End of story. I keep one of these in every bag.

Neutrogena Wet Skin Kids Stick Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 70
 
This is where you carry ALL THIS STUFF. A beach caddy has been a necessity for us. I don't travel light. I just don't. This makes not traveling light a breeze. Throw everything in the caddy and go. It even hangs the chairs. It's awesome when you have to park far away from the beach. Or the pool. I bring it everywhere. I think I even brought it to the Ridgewood fireworks last year so we could bring food, sweatshirts, chairs, etc. Totally 100% worth it. No one wants to be hot, sweaty, and loaded up like a pack mule. Throw it in the cart and go.

Beach Caddy Deluxe
 
 
image
 
 
 
 
 
Beach Caddy Deluxe
Carrying all your beach items will be a breeze with this all-terrain folding cart. Holds 48-quart cooler, up to 4 chairs, towels, boogie board, and other miscellane...
Preview by Yahoo
 

I love this thing. Seems a little dumb if you've never used one. Or a pain if you're in and out of the car. But it's the best thing ever. I have leatherette seats in the Mini. We used to have shade from a giant tree in an adjacent yard over our work parking lot. The people who own that house cut their tree down and the cars were then in the direct sunlight all day. It was a HUGE difference. I was in Target, saw a similar or the same shade as the one I posted below and bought it. As soon as I used it the first time, I knew it would become second nature to put it up. I use it every day and even if I'm just going into the mall. All the time. Especially at the beach. Who wants to get into a hot car and sear your skin on the seats? Try it- I guarantee it makes it much more enjoyable to get back into the car after a hot day on the sand.

Max Reflector Jumbo Accordion Shade

1 comment:

  1. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
    beach chair with canopy

    ReplyDelete