Thursday, July 27, 2023

New Hair Don't Care

 

After Don did my hair 6/30/23

 I actually do care about my hair. I just didn't know I cared so much. I've been going to Don for, I think, like 25+ years (he calls himself Donny, but I was introduced as Don and that's I roll) to get my hair done. From the giant curls to what I started calling movie star hair during my time on reality tv in the early 2000s. I have proof of that hair back on the Iyanla Van Zant show which I think was in 2002. 

I've had highlights, lowlights, blue hair, magenta hair. I've had long, past the shoulder hair, for most of my life, but there was a stint in like 2012 when I went for that magenta bob. It wasn't a short bob but it was significantly shorter than I've ever gone. I liked it. B wasn't really a fan. He liked the color, just not the shorter hair. 

 

2012 Magenta bob
 

Gray had been coming in, but it really was a slow process. I'd also almost always had some kind of blond highlights, so I don't know- I didn't really see it. It certainly wasn't, and still isn't the kind of gray where, if I don't get it colored, it's like, a gray part. It's more like, gray highlights, and more and more of them as time goes on. There are more of them in the front and they come in faster. 

I always got my hair done every four months. Then I started going every three months. About a year ago- maybe last September, I started doing just a single process to cover the gray. I went darker than my usual blond-ish highlighted summer hair. I didn't LOVE it, not because it was done correctly or it was a bad color- it was just boring. I didn't HATE it either. I just was sort of resigned to this being my hair now, because it was just too expensive for me to cover the gray and do highlights. I was having to come in more like every eight weeks just to cover the gray. 

Before Don did my Balayage 6/30/23
 

I work from home now. I felt like- ok, what's the big deal, no one sees me really. Especially in the winter. I just happened to be scheduled for the beginning of June for my cut and color. Don saw me and he was like- Listen. Your hair needs to be blond and gorge. This isn't you. Let me do a balayage. 

Like I said, I know Don forever. I consider him a friend. I trust him. Summer was coming. I didn't want to be dark brown for the summer. We made me an appointment for a few weeks later. He wanted to do it separately from my gray and haircut. 

What he did was a teased balayage. He was literally teasing it, and then doing whatever else is done. It's for diffusing the roots for an overall lighter color but a softer grow out. Can't argue with that. Sounds good to me. 

When it was done, it looked awesome. I didn't write this right away because I wanted to see how it would look in a few weeks. I actually had it done June 30. It's now July 27, so it's been almost a month. Usually, after I've been out in the sun, in the chlorine, not really taking care of it, the color can change a little. But this actually looks better now. It looked great that day, but what I am really impressed with, is that even the gray around and/or interspersed in my hairline isn't as pronounced. You really don't notice it. 

I've been styling my hair with the Beach Waver S1.25 curling iron, which is another story- it's the best thing I've ever used on my hair. That is saying a lot because it's really the only styling tool I've used consistently, aside from a flat iron. I don't use the flat iron anymore. Just the Beach Waver because it's so quick and easy. I can do my whole head of past the shoulder hair in like ten minutes. The pics I have here of of Don styling my hair, but I'll add pics of my hair currently having styled it myself and I get compliments every time I do my hair. My point, though, is that I WANT to style my hair, because whatever Don did, you can REALLY see it when it's styled. 

It's hard to feel pretty when you're pushing fifty and can't afford plastic surgery. If you can just feel good about your hair, it's pretty nice. I am LOVING this hair. I haven't felt like this in quite awhile. I forgot how important it is to be able to love your hair. You don't get this feeling just covering grays or box dying your own hair. Sometimes, you need that little pick me up of a great, skin complimenting, hair color. 

Don is always moving and shaking, he always has plans. These days, he's in New Milford and here's his info to make an appointment. Hair By Donny - it's awesome to be able to book things online. I wish every place had this kind of system, including doctors. Go see him and let him make you movie star hair - everyone needs movie star hair every now and again!

My more natural hair color in 95/96/97 just for fun. It was boring.




 
New photo a month after initial balayage 7-28-23



No comments:

Post a Comment