Monday, July 16, 2018

The Real Reality

We live in Bergen County, so it's not unusual that we'd sometimes get a professional athlete, an actor, or some kind of celebrity or local personality in our store. I don't know professional athletes though. I don't watch sports and don't care about meeting anyone in sporting whatsoever. I also NEVER seem to be here when someone extra exciting, to me, comes in. Like this last time...

Everyone who knows me, KNOWS, I'm a Bravo-holic. B got me into all the Houseswives shows years ago, then he bailed when he felt each franchise jumped the shark. I never bail. I'm still watching Grey's Anatomy!

For most of the seasons of Real Housewives of NJ, the women featured on the show lived nearby- Franklin Lakes, Wayne, etc. One season, half of them lived more down the shore area, but every other season was local. At one time, years ago, there was more of "friend of" the Housewives, that used to come in but I was never here and she wasn't really ON the show. She was on here and there to stir up drama.

About a week and a half ago, Dolores Catania came in to have a lamp fixed. I had JUST LEFT. But I had to wait home for E to come off the camp bus and B said she was quick. He texted me that "Someone from the Housewives was just here. Maybe you'll be able to catch her when she picks up". He fixed her lamp quickly on a Monday so that maybe she'd pick up during that week.

I washed my hair every other day so if she came in, I would look okay enough for a photo. #ifyoudonttakeapicitdidnthappen My friends all watch the Bravo shows too and they would be tickled. I have a pic with Teresa from some event, but it's from a few years ago, so it's time for a new one.

Yadda yadda, washed hair and no Dolores. I don't know why we assumed she'd come during the week but we did. Well, I get a text from B on Saturday, while I'm on the treadmill (i.e. totally unwashed and gross hair), that she just picked up, but that her car was still out there. I should come as fast as I could, safely, and maybe I'd be able to catch her. Because clearly I'm a stalker.

I ran out the house- didn't look in the mirror, yelled to E that I'd be back, no pocketbook or wallet, did not pass go nor pick up two hundred dollars. B thought she'd gone into Stone & Rail, but she went into Giannella's Deli on the other side of my store. I saw her in the window, waved, and went in.

I quickly introduced myself, saying I'm B's wife. She immediately gave me a hug and was the nicest, down to earth person, ever. I've met moms at E's school for the first time who were less friendly. She had ordered breakfast and was planning to sit and eat, so she offered me a seat. Then....

She let me ask whatever I wanted about the show. I know this may seem stupid to those of you who don't watch, but I guess it would be like if you were into sporting and got to sit down and ask whatever you wanted about their sporting. As my friend Evangeline, who passed away, would say- "This is my Superbowl". Now SHE, who also attended some of the same RHONJ events as I have, would have TOTALLY appreciated this story.

Dolores was so open and engaging, and made me laugh because she was eating such a Jersey staple. Taylor Ham and egg on a hard roll. #ImWithHer She offered me some sour cream & onion potato chips, which was also nice to see she wasn't trying to front with some vomitous healthy green drink. I declined the chips I was waiting to eat my own bacon & egg flatbreat sandwich at home.

This is the thing. A lot of these reality people are not down to earth. They travel with an entourage. They don't let you take pics with them. I had it out with Bethenny (RHONY) over Twitter, some years back, because hundreds of people, including me, waited outside in the rain to have a book signed by her, only to be told that she wouldn't take pictures with any fans. Listen, we're in the age of social media and we all want pictures. #OrItDidntHappen

I actually can't think of anyone else on the Housewives franchises that would just sit and have their breakfast with a stranger. I'm trying to imagine going up to Ramona or Nene, Tamra or LuAnn, and them just engaging like that. Nope. Not happening. And DEFINITELY NOT BETHENNY.

We've had reality tv personalities ask for things from our store for free or heavily discounted. We've donated items to their charities without as much as a personal thank you. You never know what you're going to get. I've met many of them at their book signings, but you get like half a second to say hello, and this jerk at the book store rushes you off. OR, this just happened, where someone is HYSTERICAL on tv and radio, and was a total DUD, upon meeting in person. 

Dolores had just come from yoga, had little to no make-up on, and was dressed in workout clothes. She was such a good sport. She'd taken a picture with B before I got there, because he knew he had to be my proxy.

I sat with her for at least an hour. Just chatting. I showed her my "Lampshamed!" photos from the reality shows that I have on our work Instagram. Including one of her boyfriend's chandelier shades and Siggy's butt (she was standing on a chair fixing something on the chandelier). I'm glad she thought the photo was funny vs insulting.

E was home wondering to where the hell I vanished. I was supposed to be at the pool, where I lost my spot by showing up late. It was WELL worth it though. I still have more questions. I thought of them later since I had to think of them on the fly when I was with her. Note to self: keep general questions in my phone just in case. She came BACK into my store so I could get a picture with her too. Then she told me to put it on her Instagram story for her because she didn't know how. Neither did I, which I didn't want to say, and why it then took three tries. But she didn't have to do that. Most of the housewives have paid endorsements and they won't promote anything when they aren't being paid. She didn't give it a second thought.

She's just a real Jersey girl. We got into deep conversation quickly and it felt like I'd known her for years. It was so worth losing my spot at the pool. I hope she comes back, even for a few minutes, because I need to ask the rest of my questions. Plus, she also enjoys the C word, so I know she's my people. 

I'm posting the pic of Dolores and B because I don't know what happened to the one with me, but I looked terrible anyway. They just finished filming Season 9 not too long ago, so I have to think we're going to be seeing it in the fall? Maybe sooner? #didntget2askthat

Oh, and her teeth are REALLY white. I wonder if she endorses a dentist or toothpaste because her teeth looked fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment