Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Makeover or under?

I was watching the news the other night. I think it was Nightline. They were showcasing Mary Kay and how awesome they're still doing even in a bad economy. The line that stuck out for me was something like "In any recession, while people are cutting back on everything else, you've never heard anyone say they're going to cut out their their mascara. Or stop buying lipstick" So, as I was putting on my (free) mascara from a Lancome gift-with-purchase, I started thinking about it and how much I care about make-up. Or how much I don't. How I can covet trendy handbags, semi-expensive colorful shoes, yet, walk around on the average weekday, with no make-up on, dressed like what Oprah used to call a "Schlumpadinka". I guess everyone has their thing. I love, love, love my navy blue sequin bag with the attached disco ball. So what if I'm carrying it while wearing Nike running (walking?) pants, sneakers, and an old Rider sweatshirt?

This Mary Kay thing resonated with me though. I like to look nice when I have somewhere to go besides Park N Play or dropping E off at school. When I was in LBI with my friends in October, my friend Hezz brought this most excellent eye shadow set to do up our faces. It was the coolest thing I've ever seen. It's called Urban Decay's Naked Palette: http://tinyurl.com/6c7b9sy. She did up my eyes and I looked fab. She did up half the rest of the house and they looked fab too.

I have tons of eye shadows. TONS. They come in every gift-with-purchase every time I buy a nail polish, eye liner or moisturizer. The gift is the only reason I ever even buy "make up counter make-up". I toss the make-up remover, shove the free black mascara & eyeliner combo in a box and throw the eye shadows in a little white bin I keep next to my vanity mirror. I always have the high hopes of being able to do something with them, but I try, and I feel like it looks stupid. AND, one eye always looks better than the other. I don't even know if I have the right brushes or how to use them.

Sephora sent me a $15 off $50 coupon so I bought the Naked Palette. I don't know what I'm going to do with it- maybe barter lampshades with Hezz to get her down here from Massachusetts to give me a tutorial. Or I can just do what everyone else probably does and look up some tutorials on YouTube. If you're in the market for some eyeshadow in neutral but still interesting shades that didn't come with a free gift, this is definitely the way to go. Usually the gift shadows are weird, hard for the make-up skill challenged person to attempt. Like, pink and silver. Or shimmery white. Seriously?

So, really, I don't put on a full face of make-up for school drop-off, but I do like to look like I've actually slept more than five hours a night (which is actually how long I usually do sleep). I thought I'd give you my findings for what I think is a pretty natural looking face. Not too done, not totally undone. And I don't like to spend a lot of money. The Naked thing was for three reasons- One: Hezz made me look like a rockstar. Two: I had the coupon. Three: It has colors I'd actually use and I could dump all the crappy ones I'd been keeping. I have an internet friend, Cassondra, who seems to put on a full totally gorgeous face every day of what looks like a MAC counter to me. It makes me tired, poor, and envious just looking at her photos.

I'm a big fan of CVS and all it has to offer. It works for my face and my wallet. But any drugstore or Target will do. I'm not picky. But, with my food and make-up, I am a brand shopper so it just have to have the specifics. CVS has most of them and it's the closest to my house.

Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer: http://tinyurl.com/7chaa79. It's sheer and doesn't feel like a mask. I do have some sun spots on my face and it doesn't totally cover it. But, that's what you get when you go sheer. I'm not willing to do the heavy hand so this is totally fine for me. It's also taken me like a year to use the whole tube. A little goes a long way.

L'Oreal True Match Super Blend Concealer- http://tinyurl.com/7yodxha. It works. It's the only concealer I've found that didn't give me raccoon-eye. Clinique also has one too that's pretty decent. It came in a Gift and since I haven't been in a tanning bed since October, I'm pale enough to use it. But, I wouldn't pay whatever the price is for it. It'll probably last me for years.


*Yes, I'm aware they tell you make-up has a shelf-life but I don't subscribe to this. NONE of my make-up, some of which I've had through the W presidency, has ever "gone bad", separated, smelled weird or given me any infections.

Cover Girl Pressed Powder: http://tinyurl.com/7lsprsw Self-explanatory. I've used it since high school. It doesn't get cakey and the color seems fine without getting into the crazy number of shades they have at a counter or even in the drugstore brand that goes from powder to liquid. All I want it to do is go over the Neutrogena "Enhancer". I don't know the difference between Bisque and Buff Medium. Nor do I want to or care. I want to be able to quickly grab it and get the hell out.

Maybelline Shine Free loose powder- http://tinyurl.com/7mzvksa. I use this too, in lieu of the pressed powder. It's whatever is closest to me when I'm putting on my face. It lasts forever too. I can't remember the last time I bought one yet, I still have plenty.

*I do also have Lancome Dual Finish pressed powder. It's $35. You know why I bought this if you've been reading. I don't know what Dual Finish is supposed to do, nor do I want to do it. It sounds like a pain and I'm not that interested. But, I do like it as an actual powder. http://tinyurl.com/84z5kvz

NOW- I found THE BEST lip balm ever. The other day, I ran into CVS to grab some tissues. I left with this- Neutrogena Revitalizing Lip Balm- http://tinyurl.com/7u5dbhl. It ROCKS. I hate lipstick. Well, no, I don't hate it. I wish I could wear it. But, my whole life, I've had extremely dry lips and lipstick always gets cakey or I bite it off. I feel it on me and it drives me crazy. I end up with a tube of Blistex medicated which ends up looking like I just ate powdered doughnuts. Lip gloss is ALWAYS too gooey-goopy, those lip-stains look like I magic markered my mouth, and Chapstick is too waxy. I've tried tinted balms but none seem to be the right color. I bought it in "Fresh Plum" and it's PERFECT.

One thing I've never found is a good drugstore blush. I've been using Lancome's Blush- Cedar Rose, for a million years. I don't even know if they make that color anymore. I bought a new one a year ago, haven't gotten to open it yet since I'm still on the last bit of the old one. Why do I buy Counter blush? Because you can test it out IN the store, touch it, feel the consistency. Blush is tricky. It's not something you can buy all wrapped in plastic. I'd rather get it right the first time and not have to deal with the wrong color when I get home. No one wants to look like Whatever Happened to Baby Jane with two Pepto-pink cheeks. I also buy Lancome Liquid Eyeliner- because Estee Lauder doesn't make one. Those are my two counters because I like the free "age defying" moisturizers that always come in the gift bag.

Lastly, when I do get a little more glamorous, I actually CAN and DO put on false eyelashes. The best lashes are also bought at CVS- either Ardell, Andrea or Revlon: http://tinyurl.com/72psoa8. Revlon even recently came out with a paintbrush glue. Can't get much easier than that. Of course, the first time it took me an hour. But, it's gotten less and less time consuming as I've done it more times. I think I'm down to like five minutes and eye. And they look damn good if I do say so myself.


There you have my picks for a *mostly* economically made-up face. Being Barbizon trained in 1988 did not prepare me for later life without rainbow colored eyelids, "contouring" blush, and pink frosted lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment